A Brief Introduction to Link Building
Whether you’re an experienced marketer or a newcomer, you’ve probably heard about link building. It’s essentially the practice of hyper-linking one body of text to another. It guides the reader to different pages that might contain relevant or useful content related to the subject they’re currently reading.
One such link was placed in the first sentence of this article, which leads you to the Wikipedia article on link building. Now, if you didn’t know what link building was and just stumbled across this page, that particular link would take you to a source with comprehensive information on the topic. In essence, access to information was easily provided to you. That is link building. Its main function is to make the user experience smooth and easy.
That was an example of external linking which took you to a high authority website away from this domain. You can also get backlinks from high authority websites bringing traffic to your domain.
Internal links, on the other hand, will connect you to a webpage in this domain. For example, this article is about the best strategies of link building. You might wonder why you should add internal links in the first place. Here, we might connect you an article Internal Link Building – Why You Should Implement it Today on this website. This would be a good example of internal links.
These examples are a good way to showcase how linking works. However, you need to be careful when you’re implementing it. Just adding links without cause won’t work will and will only draw negative attention or confuse the search engines and the users.
Sound Link Building Strategies
Now that you have an understanding of links, let’s move on to the best strategies of implementing them. Some of the following points apply to both internal and external building. Link building is too complex a topic to cover comprehensively here, so we’ll stress on only the most important strategies. For a more comprehensive guide, you can visit Moz’s Beginner’s Guide to Link Building. Here’s a brief introduction to the best strategies:
- Linking to Directories –Getting backlinks from external directories like Yahoo’s directory, Aboutus.org, etc, is the very first step you need to take. Several directories will allow you to place your domain name free of cost. Others might charge a fee. This is the most basic strategy that every business should apply. Relying solely on SEO or the search engine to find you won’t work well in the beginning. These external links will bring traffic to your newly launched website.
- Build Content- Before you even start thinking of adding higher quality links, it’s vital to building a solid base. This base is the content. Here you need to start planning exactly what you want your website to look like. It’s a good idea to have an internal linking structure in place before you start planning for external links. Think on the subject you have the most authority on and start writing. If you run a fishing supply store and know a great deal about fishing, start penning your knowledge.
Eventually you’re going to have some meat on the bones of your website and you can add internal links. It’s vital to pen good content here because you want other high authority websites to link to your articles. That won’t happen if you don’t provide good content.
- Relevancy –For both internal and external linking, relevancy is vital. While how the webmaster of a high authority website will backlink your content isn’t really in your control, internal linking is and it’s important. Again, consider the example of this article. The internal link we provided leads you to the content that’s relevant to this topic. However, if we connected you to a topic on PPC ads, for example, you’ll be distracted from the content and would receive irrelevant information.
This compromises user experience, which most webmasters will care about; it also affects your ranking in Google and other such search engines. Search engine crawlers explore and validate every link on the particular webpage. If they find that the links aren’t related to the content, you’re rankings on the SERPs would take a hit. If too many links are irrelevant, that would indicate to the search engines that you’re not following the webmaster guidelines. This can draw sanctions from Google.
- High Traffic and Low Traffic Pages- This relates to internal linking and will allow you to spread the traffic evenly across the website. Those web pages that have external backlinks tend to receive more traffic. The general idea is to direct this traffic to different pages on your website. One of the best ways to do this is to link your high traffic pages to relevant low traffic pages. You’re spreading the link juice so to speak. This will help lessen he bounce rate as your audience will be tempted to explore more, especially if you have great content.
- Get External Links Responsibly- It’s never a good idea to resort to blackhat SEO link building techniques. These include begging, bribing, exchanging favors, and buying backlinks. These practices might provide short-term results but will only harm your reputation in the long term. If you want to get external links, the best way to do it is to send a professional email to webmasters in high authority websites and invite them to visit your domain. You may provide a link to your best article.
One of the best ways to get backlinks is to establish you authority and network. Connect with the webmasters and writers on high authority websites by posting insightful comments on their articles. They might get interested in your content and visit your website. This is the best way to get backlinks.
If you have any questions at all about link building, web design, and digital marketing, etc, you can contact us at Savage Global Marketing. You can get in touch with us by filling in this contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You can also give us a call on 954 383 7092.