With so many people using their mobile phones to search and visit websites, it’s vital for sites to be as mobile friendly as possible. While Google does provide us with a tool to test the mobile readiness of a website, Bing didn’t have one until recently. In their blog, Bing announced that they were releasing a Bing Mobile Friendliness Test Tool.
The tool is found under the Bing Webmaster Tools tab, which lies under the Tools & Diagnostics tab. You can use this to determine whether your website will perform well on mobile phones. While you do have Google’s version of this facility, it’s a good idea to test on both tools. After all, it can’t hurt, can it?
What Makes a Website Mobile-Friendly?
According to the blog post, Bing evaluates mobile friendliness on the basis of the following aspects.
- Width of the page content.
- The quality and readability of the page on mobile phone screens.
- Zoom and viewport control and configuration.
- Plug-ins that might be incompatible.
- Link spacing and other such elements for touch-friendliness.
When you send your website URL to Bing for analysis, the mobile Friendliness tool crawler retrieves and renders the page. It analyzes all the aspects mentioned above, along with some other key factors. The result is then consolidated and the assessment is sent to you. If the website is mobile friendly, it’ll inform you that:
- The viewpoint is configured correctly. This is a meta tag that allows your webpage to adjust to the size of the screen it’s loading in.
- Zoom control isn’t restricted. Zoom control needs to be set correctly so that the users can use pinch to zoom to see content more clearly.
- The page fits the width of the device. This means that all of the text should be within the display, without words reaching beyond the screen borders on the sides.
- The text on the page is readable.
- All the links and tap targets are touch friendly and large.
The tool is simple to understand & use, and allows us to check websites for mobile readiness. That’s absolutely vital in today’s world. If you have any questions at all about website responsiveness, web design, and digital marketing, etc, you can contact us at Savage Global Marketing. You can get in touch with us by filling in this Contact Us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You can also give us a call on 954 383 7092.